<$BlogRSDUrl$>

mercoledì, settembre 24, 2008

I don't vote 

I've heard this and read this several times lately. I don't vote. The system is so screwed up that my vote doesn't make a difference, so I don't vote. I don't vote to protest the way that government always ignores the needs of the people and takes care of its own. Voting is just a way to pander to the people so they think they are in control, so I don't vote.

By this reasoning, would you also say:

Yes, there is a leak in my boat, but the water keeps coming in, so I'm not going to bail.

There is a mouse in my kitchen, but every time I catch one, another shows up. I'm not going to do anything.

I have an infection, but what can I do? There are billions of bacteria and they keep breeding.

Many of us seem to ignore that politicians work for US. We give them the power. We are the boss in this. Yes it is a drag that we don't always get our way. But the strength in this system we have resides not in the power to get your way all the time, but in the ability to voice an opinion and guide the choices that are made. Many of the seemingly powerful people who are out there only have any power because WE give it to them. Their power is bestowed by US, and can be taken away and given to someone else.

It's strange but it is totally true: One vote means nothing. Just like one snowflake or rain drop means nothing. One ant means nothing. One bacteria means nothing. But just like all these things, hundreds and thousands and millions are incredibly powerful.

If you don't vote, you are giving away the power to do anything, to whomever has the balls to stand up and accept that power. An unused vote delivers even more power than a used vote. It gives the power to rule but attaches no strings or oversight.

We are in a difficult time and we need to decide how to get out of it.

I vote.

I don't always get what I want.

I vote.

The people who get in office often abuse their power, but we can hold them accountable.

I vote.

I might not get anything for it today, tomorrow or next week, but I decide what kind of world my son will inherit.

I vote.

Comments: Posta un commento

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?